In the modern work culture, we tend to get exposed to various chemicals without our knowledge. Although not intentional, we use certain products to make us and our infrastructure look and feel great. These products may contain hazardous chemicals which have adverse side effects.
The consequences may vary in severity, but don't indicate a good sign. May include a rash on the skin, breathing problems, affect on mood, hair loss, abnormal blood pressures, etc
Health Hazards Caused by Chemicals
Health hazards caused by Chemicals can be of different types and through different methods. These health hazards can be occurred due to inhaling poisonous fumes, absorption through the skin, and ingestion into the body.
1. Inhaling poisonous fumes:
Hazardous fumes are more likely to occur in industrial environments.
- People working in chemical industries, pharmaceutical industry, etc are more prone to ingestion of hazardous chemicals in the form of fumes and vapours.
- Painting industries also cause hazards due to polluting the air with harmful chemicals like lead.
- Other organizations which do not emit gases and fumes are also at risk at a lower level, due to the paints and chemicals used for infrastructure. Though the risks are minimal, long-term exposure to these chemicals can have effects on health.
2. Chemical absorption through the skin
Hazardous Chemicals can be absorbed through the skin as well, in industries like cosmetics, heavy metals, fabric, etc.
Chemicals that are absorbed through the skin can cause allergies, irritation and the worst cases may lead to cancer.
Not only do those work in such industries, but sometimes can also be harmful to the consumers. Careful attention to the product details is required before using them.
3. Ingestion of poisonous chemicals:
Inappropriate use of medicines, food products can cause the ingestion of poisonous chemicals. In modern days, many chemicals are used to provide longer shelf life for food and medicines. Using an expired medicine or any fruit jam can cause severe damages to health.
Types of workplace hazardous chemicals:
Hazardous Chemicals are broadly classified based on their composition, the chemical nature, and the adverse effects they have on people. According to the recent study report, many workplace hazardous chemicals are classified as dangerous goods which may cause serious accidents like fire, explosion, corrosion, and so.
People not aware of these household chemicals can cause serious accidents, take a look over the list of few normal household hazardous chemicals.
- Wall/Wood Paints
- Cleaning Detergents
- Gas Cylinders
- Gases filled in Refrigerators
- Fuels like Petrol/Diesel
Handling those chemicals should be done with more precautions to avoid any adhere health effects. In addition to those normal household hazardous chemicals here we have enlisted the common chemicals used workplace.
Some of the types of workplace hazardous chemicals are:
- Carcinogens: Chemical agents that cause cancer. From feedstock to petrochemicals and many more.
- Flammables: Petrol and Diesel are the widely used flammables.
- Explosives: TNT, any leaked cooking gas can also be an explosive agent.
- Allergins: Chemicals that cause allergies can be in the form of a rash, or difficulty in breathing, rise in a heartbeat, etc.
- Reproductive toxins:Certain chemicals like Lead harm the reproductive health in humans.
- Corrosives: Chemicals that cause damage to furniture. For example, Sulphuric acid.
- Neurotoxins: Chemicals that damage the nervous system
- Nephrotoxons: Chemicals that damage kidney functioning in humans.
Every industry has risks of handling hazardous chemicals which may cause a wide range of health risks. While it is impossible to completely eradicate the problems, adhering to certain safety measures can reduce the risk.
Here are the few basic safety tips which can be followed by workers while handling hazardous chemical to reduce the potential impact of those chemicals.
- Knowing the chemicals:Every organization should make its workers aware of the hazardous Chemicals around them and educate the right use, storage, and disposal of such chemicals.
- Labelling the compositions, safety measures, and risks: Every organization should mandate labelling the products with their composition, safety measures, and risks of improper handling.
- Disposing expired and incompatible goods:The workers should be instructed to dispose of the expired and incompatible goods diligently.
- Appropriate storage of chemicals:All the chemicals should be stored under appropriate conditions. As any alterations could harm usage.
- Emergency and Safety measures:Every organization should ensure all the safety parameters are met without fail. Any lethargic maintenance can cause high risks.
Every organization works with certain risks involved. However, maintaining the safety of its employees is the top priority. Employees are also should be aware of their environments and keep themselves safe from the toxins involved in their business. Proper care should be taken before getting in contact with chemicals.